Tuesday 20 August 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#12) - things that make life as a reader/blogger easier

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish, where the writers, like me, are particularly fond of lists.   

This week's topic is...top 10 thing that make my life as a reader/book blogger easier.







1. The library
I can't praise my local library service enough. As a youngster, there is no way I would have been able to afford all the books I read, so the library was an invaluable resource. As an adult, I like to support my local library so it can give others the same opportunities I had. Libraries are a gateway to the whole world, and I adore them.

2. The internet
Where else would I find out about new books, read posts by bloggers and order books I just can't wait to go into a shop and buy?

3. Bookshops
Because while the internet is great, there's nothing like being surrounded by shelves and shelves of new or second hand books. The internet won't be able to replicate the lovely smell of paper for a while.

4. Twitter
I've only recently started following many, many publishers on Twitter, and I'm discovering a whole host of new authors and books through the medium.

5. Blogger
Okay, I know it's not the best blogging platform out there, but I'm time poor and Blogger is pretty simple to use, so I like it.

6. Bloggers
Bloggers are great for finding out about book stuff and for encouraging my love of literature.

7. Bookmarks
A weird one, but I love bookmarks. I'm one of those people who absolutely can't turn the corners of pages, so I need bookmarks to help me keep my place.

8. My mobile phone
Another strange one, but if I'm browsing in a bookshop or the library and see a book I want to read but haven't got time to at the moment, I'll take a photo of it and store it in my phone so I remember it for the future.

9. Goodreads
This is another tool I've only recently started using, but I'm enjoying interacting with other people, seeing what they're reading and discovering new books.

10.Bookshelves
Because I'm a little bit OCD, I need somewhere I can organise my books in alphabetical order by author's surname, and piling them up on the floor doesn't enable me to do that. Hurrah for bookshelves.

What makes your life as a reader/blogger easier?
 

30 comments:

  1. Yay for Twitter and GoodReads! :)

    And yay for bookmarks! I also mentioned it this week on my list, I don't like dog-earring my pages and stuff and I like pretty bookmarks

    I wish I had enough room on my shelves to alphabetize my books or group them by genre...I used to, but I just own so many books now that I can't, I have to organise everything Tetris-style xP

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I have loosened up a bit, so most of my books are organised alphabetically by author's surname, and the (huge) surplus are neatly stacked around them.

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. I think I would die if they closed up real bookstores just because you can easily order them online. The library is a real life-saver for me; I volunteered there for a while, and I always enjoyed being surrounded by books. Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger I really wanted to be a librarian. On stressful days at work I still think it's what I should be doing!

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Definitely agree with the bookshelves, but I've just moved home from Uni and I don't have space anywhere for all the books I brought back. So unless I do some donating, it's floor-shelving for a while!

    Twitter and Goodreads are both on my list too, they're so useful!

    Here's our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floor shelving can't be avoided sometimes, I currently have a few oddly shaped/large books stacked up on the floor since they don't fit anywhere else!

      Sarah

      Delete
  4. I see we all love and adore Goodreads, it really is an awesome site.
    As for libraries, ours barely has any YA books, either in English or Slovene, so I cannot really count on it too often. :L

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pity. My library has a decent selection of YA, and since joining one library in my area means I can use all of them there's nearly always one I can order the book I want from.

      Sarah

      Delete
  5. I think we're ALL going to have Goodreads on our lists today. I seriously don't think I'd be able to function without it! It keeps me sane...and it keeps track of my review queue haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only very recently started using it, and am still discovering more stuff every day. I'm sure I'll be addicted soon enough.

      Sarah

      Delete
  6. That's awesome - we said a lot of the same things. Glad to see I'm not the only one anal about my physical books. Those bookshelves are a MUST!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand marking up physical books, and it saddens me when pages get bent or covers ripped.

      Sarah

      Delete
  7. I love bookmarks! I have hundreds of them stuck in the middle of books. I hate it when people turn the edges down. Whenever I go to my second hand bookstore I grab a few because they are free. Also, LOVE my library and GR and the blogger community. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been making my own bookmarks recently (I'll share the designs in my Saturday round-up post) and that's fun because you can customise. It's about the only creative thing I can do.

      Sarah

      Delete
  8. I LOVE bookshelves, but since I have moved three times in the past year, they have been a little neglected. I can't wait until I buy a house and can finally get organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think of how good it will feel when you're able to finally get your books organised the way you want, looking all lovely!

      Sarah

      Delete
  9. I love using Twitter! It's great! Fab list Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Twitter for work, so it's on all day and sometimes I can get a bit distracted!

      Sarah

      Delete
  10. Libraries are one of the best reasons for taxes! I'm at mine at least once a week.

    I could easily have included my phone in my list, too. I love to read in bed on my phone, and I frequently use it to jot down notes for future reviews or to note new books I've just heard about.

    Thanks for visiting!
    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make lists on my phone of books I wanted to read, now I'm lazy and just snap a picture!

      Sarah

      Delete
  11. Yes! I wish I thought of my phone because I do the same! I like to take pictures of books that I want to look up later. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like keeping pictures of cool covers as well.

      Sarah

      Delete
  12. I love that I've seen libraries mention so much on these lists, so important! And I can't believe I forgot to put my smart phone on my list, definitely a huge help. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libraries are amazing. I'm such an advocate for them.

      Sarah

      Delete
  13. I have some nerve to forget about bookshops while making my list XD

    Thanks for dropping by my TTT! :D

    - Kazhy @ My Library in the Making

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Don't worry. I was sitting there, counting my list on my fingers, going 'I've forgotten something'. It took me ages to remember it was bookshops.

      Sarah

      Delete
  14. I tried doing this topic this week, but I got as far as "library" and stopped - without that I wouldn't read a fraction as much as I do, and they're such a valuable public service, I can't imagine how I'd cope without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. If my libraries are ever threatened with closure, like so many have been across the country, I will be putting up one heck of a fight.

      Sarah

      Delete
  15. Yes yes yes to Goodreads! It helps me keep track of EVERYTHING and I just love it.
    Libraries are also awesome. Without them, I'll be dead poor from buying so many books.
    Great list & thanks for stopping by my TTT! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to learn to use Goodreads better, but once I do I'm sure I won't be able to let go of it!

      Sarah

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...