Wednesday 3 April 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (#1)

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights an upcoming release or releases that readers are eagerly anticipating.

For my first ever Waiting on Wednesday I've picked Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which, depressingly, isn't out until June 18. I don't know too much about it, but what I do know is that I've never met a Neil Gaiman book I didn't like very, very much (Stardust is one of my favourite books ever, Coraline scares me silly, The Graveyard Book is beautiful and so on).

From Amazon:

THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark, from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman.

It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond the world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it.

His only defense is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.
 What is your waiting on pick this week?

2 comments:

  1. I have not read any Neil Gaiman books before but this one sounds good! I hope you enjoy it! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my post!

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start with Stardust, and you'll never look back!

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...