Tuesday 30 April 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#4) - Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish, where the writers, like me, are particularly fond of lists.
This week's topic is...
Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book.


Okay, this is a really, really difficult one, so I've stretched it a bit to include authors and genres.




1. Young adult
Am I allowed to pick a whole genre? I'm doing it anyway.

2. Dystopia
I'm a big fan of dystopian fiction, although the genre can be a bit hit and miss.

3. Nora Roberts
Roberts is my go-to gal for easy reads with happy endings, and I'll pick up every new book of hers even though I could probably guess down to the word what's going to happen.

4. Janet Evanovich
Laught out loud chick lit with an edge, what more could I ask for? I'll read anything by Evanovich.

5. Murder mysteries
I'm a sucker for a good mystery (evidenced even as a child by all the Famous Five and Nancy Drew books I read), and although I'll probably be scared for much of the time I'm reading a good murder mystery, I'll still also really enjoy myself.

6. London
Specifically east London. I grew up not far from the city, and now that I work there I get a real thrill reading books that are set in places I know.

7. Ballet
When I was little, I loved books about ballet, and I discovered that hadn't changed when I picked up Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black.

8. Cookbooks
I don't often buy cookbooks, but I've recently acquired a number through people buying them for me as gifts. The more cookbooks I get given, the more obsessed I get with them, and I love looking through them in bookshops.

9. Books about people with powers
I didn't want to put this one down under paranormal, because I've gone off books about vampires (I had my fill of Twilight and True Blood), and I'm not really that into books about witches and wizards. However, I do find books that explore the lives of people with interesting and unusual powers fascinating.

10. Real life people in fiction
I love reading historical fiction which features real people and is a dramtisation of their lives, but clearly researched so as to still be realistic. So stuff like Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl (as well as other books by her), Tracy Chevalier's Girl With a Pearl Earring etc.

What are the things that make you immediately pick up a book? 

10 comments:

  1. London! I had already mentioned how many places in my list this week but I love books set in London...now if I could only visit the city one day...Great list! =)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very fortunate that you can read a wide selection of books from your hometown. I'm from a tiny town in New Jersey, and no one is writing books about THAT. :)

    I do love dystopia, but there are SO many of them, and you're right - too many misses. But I will never give up on the genre!

    Thanks for visiting.
    Stephanie (Go Flash Go) @ Read, Rinse, Repeat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, like the vampire genre after Twilight (which wasn't well written anyway!), the dystopia genre has been flooded with books after The Hunger Games. Sure, dystopia always existed, but now anyone and everyone is trying to cash in on its popularity, resulting in some poorer reads. Still, like you say, we mustn't give up.

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. I'm drawn to young adult fiction, too. That's mostly what I read.

    As for murder mysteries, I haven't read many. Probably the only "adult" ones I've read are the Nikki Heat novels (based on the Castle TV series). I don't think there are that many YA murder mysteries, which is probably why I haven't read a lot in the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't come across masses of YA murder mysteries, but one I have is Virals by Kathy Reichs. She's written a lot of books for adults, but has a new series for younger readers, and I loved this book.

      Sarah

      Delete
  4. London is great! Oh, I definitely love seeing the real life people in fiction! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cookbooks can be so pretty! I have a bunch of Barefoot Contessa ones and just love looking at her photos. Not so much of a fan of the picture-less ones. I do like the examples you provided for real life people in fiction - my slant for that is definitely historical, however. Murder mysteries are also fun. And London! I need to go there someday. Awesome list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently discovered my love for cookbooks, and yes, pictures are definitely essential!

      Sarah

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...