Tuesday 23 April 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#3)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish, where the writers, like me, are particularly fond of lists.
This week's topic is...
Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like More/Less Than I Did.








1. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
I underestimated this series a little bit, because I was wary about the hype that it had got, and thought it couldn't live up to it. However, it completely did, and while I think the final book - Mockingbird - isn't a patch on The Hunger Games or Catching Fire, the series overall is still great.

2. The Host by Stephanie Meyer
While I enjoyed the Twilight books, I thought they were pretty shoddily written, so I didn't have high hopes for The Host. I was completely wrong - The Host was a tighter story, much better written, with more interesting characters.

3. Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
I'm not one for massive fantasy worlds, but having seen the programme, I decided to pick up the books, and fell completely in love with Martin's creation, which I didn't expect to.

4. Fire Spell by Laura Amy Schlitz
I've just finished Fire Spell, and found myself disappointed when I got to the end. I expected to enjoy it much more than I did, but there was just something missing for me. 

5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I'm not sure what I expected from The Fault in Our Stars, apart from the fact that I didn't expect to completely fall for this charming, beautiful novel. 

6. The Tattooed Girl by Joyce Carol Oates
I thought this novel about a reclusive author hiring an assistant sounded really interesting, but after struggling for days and only getting five pages in, I gave this up.

7. Nightwood by Djuna Barnes
This was a book I read as part of my university course, and is much loved by critics the world over. Not me. Nightwood is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read.

8. The Little Friend by Donna Tartt
I'd heard great things about Donna Tartt's work, so was really looking forward to The Little Friend. While I finished it, it was a real battle and it almost put me off reading A Secret History, which is actually a brilliant novel. 

9. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Ok, people are going to hate me for putting this on the list, since it's a complete classic. I didn't not like it, it was just that I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. 

10. Nineteen-Eighty-Four by George Orwell
Another classic that people will look at me in a funny way for because I've put it on my list. Again, I didn't not like it, it just wasn't as amazing as I'd been led to believe. I thought the first two thirds were pretty tough going because I was quite bored. However, credit to Orwell, it really picked up in the last third. While I liked it less than I thought I would, I would like to revisit it at some point to see if I can get more from it.  

 

8 comments:

  1. I loved the Host too, very hard to get into initially but when I did it left Twilight for dust! Game of Thrones (the whole series) and TFIOS are both on my wishlist and I have high expectations of both. I haven't read Sense and Sensibility but its one of my favourite films!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your high expectations for Game of Thrones and TFIOS will be met. I've only read the first two Game of Thrones books, but they've both excellent.

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Love the Hunger Games, it is so good! I've only read book one in the Game of Thrones series but I loved it. The whole depth and detail to the world is astounding. Happy Reading!

    My Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was amazed by the really detailed world that Martin created with Game of Thrones. Absolutely stunning.

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you about The Host! I went into that read with low expectations and was completely blown away. I can't understand why that wasn't more popular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I. There was such a fuss around the Twilight films as well, but I didn't even realise there was a film of The Host until the week before it came out!

      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Great list! I love 1984 and Sense and Sensibility but I can see why others may not like it as much. My best friend loved P&P but couldn't get into S&S--it might have more to do with the writing there than anything.

    Yay for Game of Thrones! Much as I also like the third book, I think the first book remains the best in terms of GRRM's writing.

    Thanks for dropping by my TTT last Tuesday! Happy weekend =)

    - Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with 1984 and Sense and Sensibility it was that I had such expectations, and they just weren't met. Sometimes it's all too easy to get caught up in the hype rather than just not listen and take the book on its own merits.

      Sarah

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...