Tuesday 16 April 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#2) - Top Ten Childhood Favourites

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish, where the writers, like me, are particularly fond of lists.

This week's topic is...
REWIND. So basically, any past top ten that you want to revisit or that you didn't do. Since this is only my second Top Ten Tuesday, I had my pick of topics, and in the end found myself picking the first one I saw when I looked up at the screen. Luckily, it was a good'un - Top Ten Childhood Favourites.



1. The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton
I love, love, loved this book. I got it for my birthday when I was young, and spent the rest of the day reading it. At one point I could quote large chunks of it from memory.

2. Matilda by Roald Dahl
A classic, and for a reason. Matilda was a hero for little girls everywhere, using her brains and her love of learning to overcome living with her abusive parents and going to a school with a cruel headmistress.

3. The Children of the New Forest by Captain Frederick Marryat
This was a book about a group of children forced to live in a cabin in the woods by themselves during the English Civil War between Cromwell's Roundhead's and Charles I's Cavaliers. I read it numerous times.

4. The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
One I mentioned in last week's top ten, this is a great book about a young girl overcoming harsh circumstances by using her brains and working hard (and there's a little bit of luck thrown in).

5. Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Another story about a young girl using her brains to overcome difficulties in life - are you seeing a theme? I guess I loved stories about girls who weren't model good-looking being successful in life by, you guessed it, using their minds and working hard. I guess I can relate.

6. The Babysitter's Club series by Ann M. Martin
I can't pick out my favourite babysitter - was it Mary Anne the nerdy one, Dawn the hippie chick, Stacey the beautiful but nice one? Or one of the others? I thought babysitting was such a cool thing to do as well, but it's pretty flipping hard work.

7. Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene
Girl detective uses cleverness to solve mysteries. Guess why I loved these books.

8. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
An American classic, which I really loved, and have enjoyed when I've gone back to it as an adult as well. Twain is a great writer.

9. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Amazing, amazing book, and its sequel Good Wives wasn't bad either. Little Women made me laugh, it made me cry, and the film wasn't so bad either (back in the days when Winona Ryder and Christian Bale were still nice, innocent actors).

10. Beatrix Potter's books
From The Tale of Peter Rabbit to The Tale of Two Bad Mice to The Tailor of Gloucester, I loved all the Potter books (the original Potter way before Harry!) and their illustrations. My biggest book regret is selling  the complete box set I had of these books. 

There are probably so many I've missed, but tell me, what books did you love as a child? 

8 comments:

  1. I've only read Matilda as a kid because we don't even have all these books translated I think. But Matilda was really great!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matilda is so good. I think my copy broke I read it so much, I don't know where it is. :(

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Loved so many of these. Anything by Enid Blyton, loved Little Women - I always identified with Jo. Other favourites were Anne of Green Gables and The Little House on The Prairie. Good one to puck, brings back happy memories :-)

    BookishTrish from Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne of Green Gables was a great book. I've been meaning to go back and read it since I saw someone mention it on a blog a couple of weeks ago.

      I'll check out your list.

      Delete
  3. Great picks! I loved many of these, too, especially Nancy Drew and Heidi. Those really stick out in my memory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember initially not liking Heidi, but then I fell in love with it. And the Nancy Drew books were just super cool. It's amazing that there were so many mysteries around for her to solve...

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE
    i love Nancy Drew AND Babysitter's club. So awesome you chose them!
    I grew up on those!!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might go back and read some of The Babysitter's Club books I missed!

      Thanks for the comment, I'll definitely check out your list.

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...